THE 12th NITI CONGRESS AND WORKSHOP FINAL COMMUNIQUE
Senior NITI members
As announced, the 12th Congress and Workshop of the Nigerian Institute of Translators and Interpreters (NITI), held successfully on Friday 30th and Saturday 31st January 2015 at the Conference Centre of the University of Lagos. At the end of the fruitful proceedings, the following Resolution was passed:
RESOLUTION OF THE 12TH NITI CONGRESS HELD FROM 30TH – 31ST JANUARY 2015 AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS AKOKA
Sequel to the two-day NITI congress which ended 31st January 2015, the following nine-point resolution was adopted by the congress:
1. All papers presented during the congress and which are found publishable shall be published immediately.
2. Refresher courses in translation should be organized at zonal levels for interested parties
3. There is an immediate need for a NITI news letter which will showcase the activities of the Institute.
4. NITI strongly needs a permanent office. The newly elected executives are mandated by the congress to strive hard towards realizing this objective.
5. Congress vigorously encourages members to regularly attend meetings
6. Congress calls on the National Assembly to expedite action towards passing the NITI Bill into Law.
7. Congress notes with dismay the scrapping of the policy that mandated the learning of at least one of the major Nigerian Languages at secondary school level. Congress calls on the Federal Government to re-instate that policy, and accord our local languages the much needed prominence.
8. Congress introduced and Inducted new members
9. At the end of the Congress, election of new executive officers was conducted after a motion to dissolve the incumbent was seconded. New executives were elected into the following posts:
i. National President
ii. 1st National Vice President
iii. 2nd National Vice President
iv. 3rd National Vice President
v. National Treasurer
vi. National Editor
vii. National Publicity Secretary
viii. National Legal Adviser
ix. Registrar of the Institute/Secretary General
Two Ex-officio members were also elected
The Congress adjourned at 16:15 p. m.
Accordingly, the resource papers of this congress shall immediately be incorporated into the new NITI publication: PROCEEDINGS 2005 - 2015, NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS, which is going soon to press.